To manually initiate an import of your QuickBooks™ items:
Make sure your QuickBooks™ financial software is running and in single-user mode.
Select Import QuickBooks™ Items from the Financial menu or from the Advanced Options page of the Financial Center.
– Are there reasons I may not want to import my QuickBooks™ Items?
- deleting or inactivating unused ones. You can always import these items later. QuickBooks™ items not defined to take advantage of advanced inventory features of Point of Sale: Such as grouping your items into styles (a Pro feature). Since QuickBooks™ financial software does not have similar features, it may be easier to start fresh by manually entering your items in Point of Sale in order to take full advantage of these features.
- Item information in your financial software is not current: If you have a large number of outdated inventory items in QuickBooks™, you might not want this data transferred to Point of Sale. If this is the case, you might want to take some time to clean up your QuickBooks™ item list by updating older records and deleting or inactivating unused ones. You can always import these items later.
Warning: If you have existing inventory items in your QuickBooks™ financial software, choose not to import them, and then manually add those same items and quantities to Point of Sale, your financial software inventory value can be erroneously increased.
– Can I import some items and not others?
All of your QuickBooks™ inventory items will be imported unless you choose to import only selected items. You will not be able to order, receive, or sell non-imported items in Point of Sale (unless you enter them manually).
Most users will want to import all their existing items. However, there may be good reasons to import only selected items:
- You may have items in QuickBooks™ that you do not resell. For example, shopping bags or cleaning supplies. You may want these items defined in QuickBooks™ financial software to accurately keep track of supply costs, but since it does not affect point-of-sale activities, there is no reason for the item to be in Point of Sale. You could choose not to import the item, and instead track it in QuickBooks™ financial software.
- You may have a large number of outdated items which you no longer use in QuickBooks™ financial software. Rather than delete such items or make them inactive in the financial software, you may prefer not to import them. This way, you still have an active record of these items in your financial software in case you need them in the future.
Note: If you choose to “divide” your inventory, meaning you track certain items in your financial software and others in Point of Sale, you will only be able to conduct activities regarding a particular item in the program that tracks it. For instance, you cannot track item quantities in QuickBooks™ financial software, but order it on a purchase order in Point of Sale.
– Can I control how my imported inventory items are described in Point of Sale?
During the import process, you can specify how the QuickBooks™ item descriptive fields are populated to the Point of Sale item descriptive fields.