QuickBooks Point of Sale Help: Add Pictures to Inventory Items
Why add pictures to my items?
Nothing can replace the simplicity of identifying items by seeing them. There are many in-store advantages to adding pictures or photos to your item records. An item can be mislabeled in error, or the tag swapped intentionally by an unscrupulous customer.
By associating an image of the item in the item’s record, you can easily identify if the item has the correct tag. It can also be easier to find an item on the shelf or on a rack if you can first see a picture of the item.
Are there any disadvantages to adding item pictures?
If you have a large inventory, adding pictures to all your items can significantly increase the size of your data file and the time it takes to back up your data.
These issues can be minimized by not routinely including the item pictures in your data backups.
Picture file formats and attributes
You can assign or import pictures in JPG, GIF, BMP and TIF formats. However, Point of Sale converts and stores all pictures in the JPG format.
The maximum picture size is 1000 pixels by 1000 pixels. If you attempt to add a picture larger than this, Point of Sale will resize it to this dimension. Since these pictures are intended for viewing on your computer monitor, the recommended resolution is 72 dpi. Higher resolutions will increase file sizes, which in turn increases disk space and loading time.
Picture file information is preserved when the picture is brought into Point of Sale. Additionally, information for the picture name, size, and last edit date is also saved.
Making the picture fields available in inventory and on documents
To add the picture fields to Point of Sale:
- 1) From the File menu, select Preferences > Company.
- 2) Select Inventory from the preferences list on the left.
- 3) Select the checkbox labeled I want to associate pictures with my inventory items.
- 4) Click Save.
A thumbnail of the default picture added to the item record will be displayed on sales receipts, customer orders, purchase orders, and receiving vouchers. Click the thumbnail to view the full-size picture.
To quickly add one picture to an item:
- You can turn on/off the display of pictures on order documents, if you prefer.
- With a document displayed, from the I Want To menu, click Show Item Picture.
- You can associate up to two pictures with each item or item style in inventory. The pictures can then automatically be viewed at all workstations on your network when you display the item record and when adding the item to most Point of Sale documents.
- The default picture is used to generate the thumbnail picture displayed throughout Point of Sale. An alternate picture can also be assigned so you can switch between them.
- 1) Make the picture fields available as described above.
- 2) Find the item in your item list and click Show Details.
- 3) Click the Click here to assign a picture field adjacent to the Item Name.
- 4) In the Open file window, browse to the picture file and double-click it.
To add a second picture, remove a picture, or swap between pictures:Edit item picture
- 1) Find the item in your item list and click Show Details.
- 2) Click the current picture adjacent to the Item Name.
- 3) Click Edit. The Pictures window is opened in edit mode as shown below.
Use the action buttons to edit the picture(s):
- 1) Clear to delete a picture.
- 2) Browse to picture to add a picture or to replace an existing picture.
- 3) Swap to change positions of the primary (left) and alternate pictures (right).
When done, click Close Picture Window in the upper-left. Click Save to save your edits.
To add pictures to a style:
All items in the style will display the pictures assigned in this manner. After assigning a style picture, you can change the pictures for individual items within the style using the procedure above.
- 1) Display a style item record.
- 2) Click the Style button on the item form. The Style window is opened.
- 3) Add a picture at the top of the Style window in the same manner as above .
- 4) Save the style record.
- If you need to add pictures for a lot of items at once, consider importing them with the Data Import Wizard. Use the link at the top of this page top learn more about importing pictures.
- Your item list can be customized to include the Picture Assigned column which indicates whether a picture has been assigned to an item. Item reports can also be modified to show whether an item has a picture assigned, and to display the picture name.
- (Multi-store) Only Headquarters can add or edit item pictures. Headquarters can then send the pictures to remote stores, making them available to view there.