QuickBooks Point of Sale: Failed to open company
When trying to open your company file in Point of Sale, you see the following error:
Failed to open company
Why is this happening?
- 1) Damage to the company file
- 2) Company file was converted to Point of Sale Version 12.0 or higher using a Windows XP SP2 Operating System
Solution 1: Create a test company file and then try again
- 1) Open Point of Sale.
- 2) From the Start Company screen, select create new company, and then click Next.
- 3) In the Company Name field, type Test, and then click Create.
- 4) Once the test file opens, choose File > Company operations, and click Next.
- 5) Select open existing company, choose your company file, and click Next.
Solution 2: Restore a backup
- 1) Open Point of Sale and select the Test company file.
- 2) Choose File > Company operations.
- 3) Select Restore from backup and click Next.
- 4) Select Browse to alternate backup file and click Browse.
- 5) In the left window, navigate to:
- 1) Windows 7 and 8: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS 11.0\Data\“Your Company Name”\Backup\
- 2) Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS 11.0\Data\“Your Company Name”\Backup
- 6) Select the most recent backup and click Next. This will restore your company file to the date and the time the backup was created.
Solution 3: Rename the Company File
Note: If you do not want to change the entire name, you may add a letter or number at the end of the name
- 1) Go to the location of your Company File
- 1) Windows 7 and 8: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 11.0\Data\“Your Company Name”
- 2) Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 11.0\Data\“Your Company Name”
- 2) Rename the Company File
- 3) From the Company File location, right click the file name, select rename and enter the new file name
- 4) Open your Company File in Point of Sale again