QuickBooks Point of Sale: Add a Customer
Note: If you have accessed this topic after copying a customer record, start with Step 2. Edit the information brought from the copied record as needed.
It is helpful to be consistent when entering customer information. Consistently using the same data format makes it easier to sort, search, and look up customer records.
To add a customer:
From the Home Page Customers menu, select New Customer.
From your Customer List, click the Add button.
From the Customer field on a sales receipt, click the QuickBooks POS Down Arrow (down arrow) and then choose Add New Customer.
Navigate through the sections on the customer form and enter name, contact, and optional information for the customer:
Expand each section of the form by clicking the small triangle icon to the right of the label:
- Name:The Last (Name) field is required to save a customer record, unless Track as Company is selected (see next).
- Track as Company (Pro):Allows you to record customer PO numbers on transactions for the customer and display the company name throughout Point of Sale (in the Full Name field). With this selection, Company (Name) is a required entry.
- Contact Info: Enter the customer’s phone, e-mail, and address.
- Customer Notes Add whatever notes might be helpful, such as birthday, clothing sizes, gift preferences, etc.
- Custom Fields (Pro): You can define and use custom fields to record additional information. Using custom fields allows you to use the information to filter reports.
- QuickBooks Options: Use these settings to control sharing of customer information with QuickBooks financial software and to set up and maintain charge accounts for the customer.
- 1)Use with QuickBooks: Select this checkbox share this customer’s information with QuickBooks. A company preference controls the default setting of this option.
- 2)Charge Account: Select to allow charges for this customer and enter an account limit.
- Customer Settings: Use this area to set other options:
- 1) Customer ID (Pro): Customer IDs are automatically assigned to new customers and can be used to print scannable ID cards.
- 2) Rewards Member (Pro):If offering a Rewards program, elect the checkbox to enroll this customer.
- 3) Alternate contact info Enter additional phone numbers.
- 4) Customer Type: Categorize your customers in ways that are meaningful to your business.
- 5) Tax Location: Specify a customer tax location for special tax handling (Set up can use a 0% tax location for tax-exempt customers).
- 6) Customer Discounts: If applicable, click the Discount button and specify a customer discount or price level to suggest on all sales to the customer.
- 7) Accept Checks:Select the checkbox if checks are to be accepted for payment from this customer.
- Addresses (Pro):Use this area to enter additional shipping addresses and print shipping labels. The address entered in the Contact Info section is automatically added as the default shipping address. Select the Do not mail to Bill To Address checkbox to prevent this and then click Add to enter alternate shipping addresses (up to ten). Designate one as the default. The default shipping address will be suggested when you add shipping information to sales receipts. Select Save.
- If an existing customer record is very similar to a new one you are creating, copying and editing the existing record might be the quickest way to create the new record.
- If you are integrated with QuickBooks financial software:
- Customer names can be sent to QuickBooks in the order you prefer (e.g. < first, last> or < last, first>).
- Charge account balances and limits are shared between the programs. You cannot track account charges without also having the Use with QuickBooks option selected.