Prepare QuickBooks to work with QuickBooks Point of Sale
Before you can integrate QuickBooks Point of Sale and QuickBooks, you must install both programs and set up your QuickBooks company file to support the exchange of information.
When setting up your company file in QuickBooks:
Only the QuickBooks Administrator can do this task.
The next step in using inventory tracking is setting up the inventory accounts you need.
When you set up sales tax rates and other tax options in Point of Sale, the necessary sales tax items and codes in QuickBooks are created when you do a Financial Exchange with Point of Sale. If you already have sales tax items (or groups) and codes set up in QuickBooks, you can link those items or groups and codes to your Point of Sale tax setup in Point of Sale company preferences.
If you need to pay sales taxes to more than one tax agency, you may want to set up sales tax groups in QuickBooks so that your sales tax reports break out the tax payments correctly. Once set up in QuickBooks, you can link sales taxes in Point of Sale to the QuickBooks tax group(s). Point of Sale cannot automatically create sales tax groups for you.
If you’ve been using QuickBooks for some time, you may have some customers, vendors, or items who are no longer needed or used. Cleaning out unused items helps streamline Financial Exchange and avoids duplication of unused items.
- Turn on inventory tracking features in QuickBooks so that you can integrate with Point of Sale.
- 1) Open the items and inventory preferences.
- Go to the Edit menu and click Preferences.
- In the list at the left of the Preferences window, click Items & Inventory.
- In the list at the left of the Preferences window, click Items & Stock.
- Click the Company Preferences tab.
- 2) On the Company Preferences tab, select the Inventory and purchase orders are active checkbox.
- 3) Click OK.
- Make sure that your QuickBooks Integrated applications company preference is set to enable communication with Point of Sale. The default QuickBooks setting is to allow access, so this setting should only have to be changed if you have previously changed it to not allow access.
- Check your Integrated applications preference settings.
- 1) Go to the Edit menu and click Preferences.
- 2) Click Integrated Applications on the left side of the window.
- 3) Click the Company Preferences tab.
- 4) Make sure the box next to Don’t allow any application to access this company file is not selected.
- 5) Click OK.
- Make sure that you have set up the QuickBooks accounts to which Point of Sale transfers data.
|Cost of Goods Sold
||Cost of Goods Sold
||Other Current Asset
||Other Current Asset
|Sales Tax Payable (if you collect taxes)
||Other Current Liability
- Go to the Lists menu and click Chart of Accounts to review your QuickBooks Chart of Accounts. Make sure that you have the following accounts used by Point of Sale to transfer merchandise receiving and sales information to QuickBooks:
- If necessary, create any missing accounts. For more information, see the account mappings between QuickBooks POS and QuickBooks.
- After the initial integration is completed, you can modify your chart of accounts to match your specific business needs. To link to a custom chart of accounts, see the instructions in the Point of Sale documentation.
- Turn on sales tax if you collect sales tax on sales. If you pay sales taxes to a single agency, no further tax setup is required in QuickBooks.
- Review and update your QuickBooks lists as necessary.
You can delete an unused item, which removes it permanently from the list and cannot be undone. You can also make an item inactive, which removes it from the normal list view but retains the record so that you can access it again. Inactive items will not be exchanged with Point of Sale.
- How do I clean out unused list items?
- 1) Go to the QuickBooks Lists menu and click the list with the item to delete.
- 2) Click the item to delete or make inactive.
- (Optional) Click the list button at the bottom of the window (for example, the Item button if you’re editing the Item list) and then click either Delete or Make Inactive.
- Deleting an item removes it permanently from the list and cannot be undone.